Glacier FarmMedia COVID-19 & the Farm

Organic ag “micro-grants” seek projects

A worldwide organic certification body is actively encouraging farmers from Canada and elsewhere to apply for “micro-grants” to support organic research and/or education.

Lincoln, Neb.-based OCIA (Organic Crop Improvement Association) International offers research and education micro-grants, typically in the range of $300 to $1,500, on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Eligible projects “must support organic research, organic education or other ideas supporting/promoting organic agriculture and benefit multiple producers, processors and/or consumers,” OCIA said in a statement Tuesday.

Personal training is not an eligible expense, OCIA noted.

The program’s intent is to spread grant awards among as many regions as possible, OCIA said, so there may be limits on the number of grants given within any one region.

Under the program, 75 per cent of the grant funding is released upon acceptance of a proposal. The remaining 25 per cent is released once a final report, as per the program’s requirements, is submitted, OCIA said.

COPA Medallion COPA finalist in 2012, 2014 and 2015.
©2021 AGCanada is a production of Glacier FarmMedia Limited Partnership. Any affiliated or third party content is the property of its respective owner and is used with permission.
Please refer to Copyright Page for details.
Click here to view our Website Terms of Use.